Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sometimes you need a push!

"Mommy, can you push me?
MOMMY, can you PUSH MEEEEE?"

I hear this question so frequently it's really ridiculous. I want to ask him, "Levi, can't you just pump your legs already?" But I know that at 3 1/2 he is not yet capable of swinging by himself, and he does need me to stand there and push him for about half an hour! But I do have the hope that someday, he'll be able to do it on his own.

I've been thinking about purpose and passion lately. It's been the theme of our church for a few weeks now. My pastor came up to me this Sunday before I stepped up to lead worship, and he said to me, "You are an original! Are you happy to be an original?" And he had me repeat after him that I am an ORIGINAL!

I can get trapped in the thinking so often that I'm not like this person, or this person...so where do I fit in? How can I camouflage myself, is the question I'm really asking!

I remember when I was in the worship band playing the keyboard and singing back-up vocals for years! Occasionally the Lord would whisper in my heart, "You are a worship leader, Anne." It was so quiet, and yet He kept reminding me of His dream for me. And my pastor would come ask me from time to time, "so when are you going to come out from behind the keys, and LEAD?"

It was a push.

I had no way of knowing how deep of a calling it was on my life until I finally lead a song one Sunday! And I loved it. But it was a slow process of uncovering my confidence, my talent, and my passion to be a lead worshipper. And it still is a temptation I fall into too frequently, to compare myself to the other worship leaders, the other leaders in the church, especially when I've just stepped out in confidence to lead the church.

But the Lord doesn't want me to be camouflaged in the church. His heart is for me to step up and fill the space that only I can fill in the church, in life, in my home, in my family. And I have recognized that since I've needed that push from the Lord and from my pastors and family, others around me need one too.

Who doesn't want to be believed in? Anyone? EVERYONE needs a push into their calling and their destiny until they can stand on their own with confidence! The church needs ORIGINALS, the church needs to be called into their giftings. Don't hold back your affirmation from those who are just trying something out, seeing how it fits on them. Give them a push that is backed by the Father.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN. I love seeing and hearing you lead worship. It most definitely is a role you are meant to walk in.

    ReplyDelete